So, the past few weeks have not been great. There have been a few bright spots, but other than that, I can't even remember what I did besides schoolwork and cramming for Bible Bowl. Being homeschooled does not reduce the workload, but rather brings new challenges instead of the typical ones. Yes, I am allowed to do school in my pajamas- basketball shorts and a t-shirt- but I can't sleep in as late as I want and I often go to bed just before midnight after spending the evening doing homework. I have to learn how to drown out the noise of the house and focus on my work instead of getting distracted by everyone else's activities. It's so tempting to have the computer in the next room calling my name, the radio begging me to turn on some music, and my latest library book forlornly looking at me from the dog crate which serves as my makeshift bedside table and bookshelf overflow area. There always seems to be so many other fascinating things I'd rather devote my time to than struggling through Algebra 2 and memorizing vocabulary words for AP Biology.
Putting off Bible Bowl yet again, I decided to catch up on some of the blogs I had been neglecting. Even though some of the blogs I read are written by moms who happen to have hobbies in common with me, I can always draw some little tidbit of wisdom or inspiration from their words and pictures, just as I can from my own parents. Some inspire me to get the paintbrushes and canvases out, others make me want to dust off my camera and take some pictures. And some are just good writers who, through the subtle masterpiece of their own creativity, influence and challenge me to get outside myself and into The Word.
I want to be one of those people. I want to ooze with creativity... inspire others... let loose... not be afraid to fly... But first I need to rediscover myself and who God created me to be, and by doing that, I will be unstoppable. So, I have decided to bring a little corner of happiness into my previously monotonous week by listing lots of things that I love. Somehow, some way, and for some purpose, God has given me these likes and loves. Who knows why? Certainly not I. But it's never too late to find out. So here goes...
I LOVE...
- The smell of clean laundry. I thought of this first because I can smell dryer sheets whenever I move. :-)
- Really good lyrics. If I can apply them to my life in some way, you've got me hooked.
- Summer. Everything about it. Even the oppressive heat.
- Winter. Not so much the cold, but the holidays that come with it. And the occasional snow storm.
- Spring. I so look forward to the time when the trees bud, because the color of brand new baby leaves is the prettiest color of green on this earth.
- Fall. Mmm... Pecan pie and decorating with pumpkins says it all.
- Horses. I could go on all day with this one. I especially love their smell and the way their eyes get really big when they catch your scent for the first time and snort into your hand with their big, velvety noses. Oh, how I love horses.
- A clean, organized bedroom. My mind is clearer and I feel a sense of order and accomplishment when my room is clean. :-)
- Late night talks with my best friends. It doesn't matter who they are, I love spending time with them! Spending one-on-one time getting into deep subjects and knowing that you can completely trust the person in front of you and you're willing to guard their secrets with your life is an amazing experience. Sometimes it just makes you want to burst with gratitude and amazement that such people are walking through life with you- all because of the grace of God!
- Beautiful pictures. When a subject is captured in such a way that you could sit and stare at it for hours- the colors, the contrast, the clarity- a piece of God's creation preserved, if only for a moment.
- Silence. In the dead of night, when you're the only one awake. You can actually hear yourself think and everything is open for discussion between you and God. You can dream and hope and beg and thank and praise and contemplate to your heart's content. No interruptions, no distractions, just silence.
- Sweet tea. a Southern staple- I can't get enough!
- Childhood memories. Some things you can't let go of. And now that I look back, I realize that I just passed over some stages in my life that I wish I could have paused and stopped to savor for awhile. Sometimes I would give anything to go back and relive those moments.
- Puppy paws. There's nothing better than those 5 little pads of preciousness.
- History. I love learning anything and everything about history. To think that someone in the future may think about the time period I'm living in now and wonder how on earth we survived in such neanderthal conditions is amazing! :-)
- Pearly, vintage-inspired clothes- I have maybe one pink shirt in my entire closet, so I'm not the girliest of fashionistas. In fact, I'm not even a fashionista. I'm more of a "go-to-Target-after-I've-been-wearing-the-same-clothes-2-years-in-a-row-ista". But these fall fashions with the lacy tops and dresses, pinky-mauve cowgirl chic tones, leather boots and impish flowers on reproduction fabrics just make my inner Jane Austen want to spring out and play dress-up. :-)
Well, I could go on forever, this is so much fun! But if I want to have even the resemblance of a good attitude tomorrow, I'd better sign off. Here's to hoping and praying for better days ahead, to finding joy in the little things and to discovering the loves that God gave you! If you're reading this, please leave a comment and tell me some things that you love. :-)
2 comments:
Morgan I'm so glad I just found your blog! I love it :) I hope someday we can go out and take pictures together! That would be so fun!
Love Meredith
Morgan, i love YOU. i absolutely love reading your blog. God has gifted you in photography and in writing! thank you for inspiring me! hope today is a great one <3 K
Post a Comment