Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter Ramblings...

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have pictures! :)

I've been working on a new project- among other things- and I recently acquired inspiration for a new collection I'm really excited about.

So, first of all, today is my friend K's 16th birthday! (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!) Her mom invited us to join them for a birthday brunch at an ADORABLE little bistro that serves coffees, yummy breakfast and lunch items, and the best cupcakes I have EVER tasted! We brought 6 of them home, and I would have shared pictures, but... we devoured them before they ever reached our house. :) So, I will tell you a little about these scrumptious slices of heaven. They have many flavors, but the ones we've tried so far are: Tres Leches (both the vanilla & the chocolate), Tiramisu, Flapjack (with & without the caramelized bacon topping- sounds weird, but don't knock it till you try it!), Chocolate on Chocolate, Vanilla on Vanilla, Regular, and Molten. My favorite so far is the vanilla Tres Leches. I CANNOT STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH HOW AMAZING THESE CUPCAKES ARE!!! Whew! Someone's on a little bit of a sugar high... couldn't be me! :) Anyway, we had a great time talking, laughing, eating wondrous food, and celebrating K's birthday!

Here's a pic of us girls: K, C, A, & Me!


Two weekends ago, my mom went on her annual Mom-and-Daughter trip with her mom, two of her closest girlfriends, and their moms. I was not included in this little get-together- though I am a daughter and therefore qualify for the A List... but apparently I was wrong. :) Anyway, I asked my mom to bring me back an old hymnal (for a future art project- more on that later), and an antique camera or two. My obsession with cameras started a long time ago, but I just recently got the idea to collect them. My parents and I took a tour of the Art Institute a few weeks ago (more college hunting), and one of the photography professors had an antique camera collection in her office. *Lightbulb moment!* I was very impressed and inspired to start my own collection! Lo and behold, my mom brings home an adorable Baby Brownie camera! I'm not sure how old it is, but it's definitely an antique according to today's standards. When I brought it out to show my dad, he promptly stated that we had 2 antique cameras in the garage belonging to my great grandfather that my mom had WANTED TO THROW AWAY! What is that all about?!?!?! :) It's okay. I love you anyway, Mom, and I'm glad Dad had the smarts to hide them from the garbage man. :) So, I am now the proud owner of 3 "new-to-me" antique cameras to jump start my collection! Here are some pics I took today:

                           

This is the Baby Brownie my mom brought me


And these next 2 were my great grandfather's



And there you have my "new" cameras! I will forever be on the lookout whenever I step foot in an antique store. Speaking of antique stores, my "twin", Frankie, and I went on a shopping trip this past weekend to our favorite little town square. No matter how many times we've been in the stores, each time is a new and memorable experience. From the quilt shop, to the diner, to the boutiques, to the rock shop, to the vintage clothing store, to the antique mall- we love them all. The smells, the sights, the people. Everything. One of our favorite things to do is walk the entire length of the antique mall because there is always something new to see. It is so jam-packed full of interesting articles that you could live there for a year and never see it all. We have a tradition of buying an antique handkerchief- another collection! :) It's our way of getting started on our legacy for our future daughters, granddaughters, and great granddaughters. We didn't acquire any hankies this time, however, but we did manage to snag an ADORABLE ring at Forever 21. We're both suckers for jewelry-  especially big, pink, flowery rings. :) Here's a picture! ... Or 3.









My latest project- as of this weekend- has been fabric flowers. I saw them on a blog and decided to experiment with my own. Here are the ones I've done so far:




















And that's all for the latest news! Next week during Christmas break, I hope to do a Christmas post of our tree and our decorations. Until next time, here are a few more pictures...













2 comments:

Kelle said...

Your comment drew me in as this throbbing creative, life-loving heart. And I had to smile seeing so much potential and opportunity. Keep doing what you are doing. Do what you love. No matter what. It's obvious you have some great talent here and a desire to find beauty in life, so keep searching and giving and creating. Thank you for your kind words. Life lovers, unite...ha ha (and if I had some sort of cheesy hand-shake, I'd insert it here).

Anonymous said...

girl, this is amazing. you are a phenomenal picture taker! give me lessons?:) i had so much fun with you yesterday at the cafe and i can't say enough how amazing my birthday was yesterday! you are a blessing and i love you so much! <3 k p.s. those cupcakes were...... way too delicious!:)